Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Gardening in Phoenix

My garden has gone a bit crazy this year. I think I have planted waaaay too many tomato plants. A few years ago, we built 4 raised gardens. Each one measures: 16 foot long, 4 foot wide, 2 foot tall and 4 feet between each one. My plan was to make it easier to get to the produce and not have to bend over to get to anything.

Here in downtown Phoenix, it is starting to get hot so my spinach and basil are finished this year. The plants that are left and really like the heat are: zucchini and spaghetti squash, sweet and jalapeno peppers, gourds and the crazy tomatoes. There must be 12 plants and 4 to 5 variety of tomatoes (The varieties I planted this year are: cherry, plum, grape and heirloom.

I consider them crazy since the plants have mutated and taken over the garden. Plants were put in cages but they have ESCAPED. I find it an adventure to try and get at the tomatoes. One side of the garden cannot be walked around due to the plants growing all the way the fence.

My favorite tomatoes the past few years are the smaller variety. I have planted ones like early girl and beefsteak but they just taste ok to me. I remember when I was a child and living in Washington state, our family would go to Yakama to visit friends who lived there. I remember that it was a very hot place and now it reminds me of Arizona in the summertime.

They had these huge beefsteak tomatoes that were the best ever. One of my favorite memories of these are my mother making tomato sandwitches with them. It is very easy to make.You take 2 pieces of white bread, put a tiny bit of mayo on both sides, maybe a little mustard and then a huge ¾ to 1 inch slice of these gorgeous tomatoes and then add a dash of salt.

There are also a few gourds this year. I have tried to grow them before but with no luck at all. I know my wife will be able to use them for creating wonderful bird houses and feeders.

Back in the shop, I have tried to create something different and with some color using only different metals.  Here pictured is an old key that was used to wind up a clock with a sterling silver heart and patterned brass, copper and steel wire to hang below. I am back to the drawing board to come up with some different designs of jewelry. Hmmm, I think it is time to get back to work.


John

1 comment:

  1. i love that key-

    and wow, you're herbs are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete